Sunday, May 22, 2011

Book 6: Chapter 20 (My version)

This is the last chapter. I finally finished. You're all very glad that it's over by now. Anyway, maybe I'll write more.

Chapter 20

It was two days before Valkyrie woke up and another twelve hours before Jay did. The two girls were a mess. All of Valkyrie’s friends now knew who Darquesse was and to her surprise, none of them had even cared. They had wanted to help. They discussed what was going to happen afterwards with Fletcher’s funeral and everything. Jay had been quiet, not saying anything at all.

Finally, Skulduggery said, “Well, it was nice to meet you Jay. I hope you have a good life.”

Jay’s eyes widened in surprise and then her expression melted into a soft, warm smile.

“Wait! You’re sending her away? She saved the world last night. She saved me. What are you doing?”

Jay laughed.

“No, he’s not sending me away. He’s just very observant. He realizes that I’m leaving.”

“Leaving? Why?”

“Because I was not made for this. I wasn’t made to fight battles and save the world and really the only reason I stayed was for Fletcher. He’s my brother but I barely know him. Now he’s dead and I don’t think I can stay. I already booked my plane ticket. I’ll be leaving tonight.”

“But what if Darquesse comes back? What do I do then?”

“Fight her off yourself. You are strong enough and even if I was here, I honestly don’t think that I could push her out again. It’s really hard.”

Suddenly, Valkyrie burst into tears. Everything that she had held in since Fletcher’s death came flowing out and in a matter of seconds Jay was in tears too, trying really hard to stop sobbing. No one had cried for Fletcher yet, but now the floodgates were open and there was no closing them until there was nothing left. Tanith walked in took one look at them and burst into tears as well. Ghastly and Skulduggery put up a good fight but in the end, the only one without tears in his eyes was the Detective, probably because he had no eyes. Later, they said goodbye to China. There were no tears there either but China did seem a little sad that Jay was leaving. Or maybe that was because Tanith was back. Skulduggery drove Jay and Valkyrie to the airport. The last thing they saw were her green eyes as she rounded the corner, glittering with what might have been tears or excitement.

“I’m going to miss her,” Valkyrie decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment